Roof repairs in the Portland, Oregon area are an inevitable fact of life. The damp climate of the Pacific Northwest can lead to plenty of roof issues, including moss, sagging, and of course, leaking. It’s a good idea to catch these issues early on, before they become larger, more costly issues.
One way to stay on top of potential roof problems is to do an internal and external inspection twice a year. Internally, it’s best to venture into the attic with a flashlight, if you’re able.
Spotting any of the following might indicate that a roof repair might be in order:
- Signs of water entering the house, such as dark spots or trails, wet insulation, and obvious leaking.
- A sagging roof deck.
- Ability to see outside light from inside the house.
- Cracked, curled or missing shingles.
- Damaged flashing around the chimney, pipes, skylights, valleys, and dormers.
- Moss and algae growth.
- Excessive shingle granules in the gutters.
If you find any of the above, there’s no need to panic. The best thing to do is to call a qualified Portland roofing contractor to assess the condition of the roof and recommend the best course of action to take. Depending on the roof type and the particular issue, often a simple, relatively inexpensive repair will correct the problem and help ensure that your roof fulfills its expected lifespan.